Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Day After

I woke up this morning, still in a haze.  The Kick-Off event last night for FMLA was incredible.  Beyond what I could have expected.  The energy, the feelings, the brotherhood, the support...everything I could have wanted.

As I stood in the Antebellum Gallery, amidst the Art of Drummer Exhibit, I must admit, I was nervous.  I care so much about the concepts of FMLA and giving LA that heart and sense of brotherhood for all that it needs so badly.  People began to arrive and I introduced myself.  There was some trepidation and curiousity amongst some of the attendees, but that was expected.  As the event moved on I noticed something.  Everyone was talking to everyone.  Whenever someone started to slink away from the group and get insecure, people would swoop in and make that person feel supported and welcome.  This is what I believed, we in LA, were capable of.  Taking care of each other and supporting one another.  We just needed an excuse and a space.  That trepidation melted away and people were just "being" with each other.  The diversity of the group was just as I had hoped.  All experience levels, sizes, fetishes, people in gear, some without any at all...men united by a common mind-set and a yearning for more.

I am now more inspired then I was before.  Seeing my fetish brothers thrive and welcome others into the fold, filled my heart.  It may sound cheesy, but it's true. It works, in LA of all places.  Now, we can reach out to those who are nervous or skeptical of being accepted or having their knowledge and experience valued, and say, we are here.  We support you and are here for you.,  If you want to be a part of us, you simply have to show up and you will be welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment